Adjustment of Status

Santa Rosa Attorney – Adjustment of Status for Permanent Residence

California Legal U.S. Residency Process Lawyer

Through adjustment of status, people who are in the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa can petition for a green card/permanent residency. Adjustment of status for permanent residence has become more difficult over the last decade. If your goal is to become a legal U.S. resident, you need an immigration attorney familiar with the specific requirements and procedures involved in adjustment of immigration status.

Since 1986, I have helped foreign nationals pursue permanent residency. I have a strong understanding of how the process works and who is eligible. You can trust me to provide you with knowledgeable legal counsel and protect your rights throughout the process.

To discuss adjustment of status in a free consultation, call 707-527-8050. Appointments available Monday through Saturday. Se habla Español.

Are You Eligible to Adjust Your Status?

There are certain requirements that need to be met before you become eligible for adjustment of status, including:

  • An immigrant visa must be immediately available to you
  • You must have entered the United States legally (although there may be some exceptions under an expired U.S. law known as 245(i))
  • You must not have fallen out of status by staying past the terms of your visa
  • You must not have sought unauthorized employment while in the U.S.
  • You need to show that you are applying for adjustment of status in good faith (such as showing that your marriage is legitimate)

There may also be specific rules attached to your particular visa. For example, if you came to the United States on a fiance visa (K visa), you must have married your spouse within 90 days of entering the country.

Exception to the Rules: Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens

If you are an immediate relative — parent, spouse or child — of a U.S. citizen, the path is clearer for you. The issues in the bulleted list above will likely not apply to you. For example, if you have fallen out of status or have sought unauthorized employment, you are still eligible to adjust your status to residency status.

Child Status Protection Act (CSPA)

Application processing delays by the USCIS may prevent a child from receiving immigration benefits before he or she turns 21. The Child Status Protection Act protects some young adults from “aging out,” allowing their applications to continue past their 21st birthday. I have extensive experience in this area and in other areas involving children who immigrate to the U.S.

Call for a Free Initial Consultation

No matter what your situation, I will help you determine whether you qualify for adjustment of status. If you do not qualify, you may be able to apply for permanent residency through consular processing.

To learn more about adjustment of status for permanent residence and what I can do for you, contact my Santa Rosa law office.

Free Initial Consultations

Call (707) 527-8050

Firm Information

Lamar Peckham
555 Sebastopol Road, Suite C
Santa Rosa, CA 95407
Phone: 707-527-8050
Fax: 707-569-0225
Map and Directions